Whoever visited Greece definitely enjoyed the variety of traditional Greek food. This gave them the opportunity to come across different tasty Mediterranean plates. Among these plates, Tzatziki sauce deserves a special overview. Tzatziki is famous for its exquisite taste and versatile combining with many foods. In Greece, Tzatziki has a special place in the heart of Greek people. Not because it can be found in the famous Greek souvlaki, but because it has its roots in ancient Greek times. Ancient Greeks called it mittiko (μυττικό). They served it as a sauce with meat usually. This heavenly refreshing white sauce was also consumed as a spread of bread or pita.
Give us the recipe!
It’s not a secret and definitely, you will be able to find a thousand versions online. However, here is an original Greek recipe from the 100 years old grandma’s book. It’s not the only successful recipe but it’s super-tasty. It will inspire you to use it almost daily in your Keto and LCHF diet.
- 300 g Greek yoghurt
- 1 large cucumber
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Peel the cucumber and grate it using a metallic grater
- Put the cucumber into a cheesecloth or coffee filter
- Add the salt and 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- Squeeze the cucumber to get rid of all excess liquids
- Place the yoghurt in a bowl and add the cucumber. Now add the second tablespoon of vinegar
- Crush the garlic cloves with the olive oil in a mortar with the pestle. If you don’t have a mortar, chop the garlic into tiny pieces. Then, crush it with the wide side of a big knife
- Add the garlic and olive oil and the chopped dill in the yoghurt
- Stir for a minute until all the ingredient mix well
- Chill it for a half an hour. Before serving, sprinkle your Tzatziki with some dill and olive oil