From a Greek point of view
There is no Christmas without aromatic and magic Melomakarona in a Greek home. The tradition most probably dates back to the times when ancient Greeks celebrated the birth of Sun god, or maybe even Dyonisos. Honey was the main sweetener back then. So I am guessing, that version was not as harmful as the modern version which calls for additional refined sugar. As the Greek name says, Melomakarona is a pastry with honey! Well, now that I am on keto, there is no chance that I will eat real Melomakarona. but, this doesn’t mean that we cannot adjust it to keto version. Of course, without honey, it will miss something in the aroma. But when it comes to taste – it will taste even better. Why is the keto version better? Well, it has no added sugar, it has great spices and it has good fats. What’s not to like? Here is the recipe and I hope you will enjoy making them as much as you will enjoy eating them!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium powder
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons stevia powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2/3 teaspoon clove powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon dark rum aroma
- 1 egg
- ½ cup melted grass-fed butter
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons stevia powder
- 1 whole lemon sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground vanilla bean
- 2 teaspoons ground gelatine
4 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- Place all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Using a whisk, combine them well.
- Add the egg, melted grass-fed butter, extra virgin olive oil and dark rum aroma.
- Using your hand mix all the ingredients to create thick cookie dough. now add water and mix it well.
- Form a ball and cover it with transparent foil. Place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Take the dough ball out of the refrigerator.
- Grease your hands with some olive oil and start creating medium balls or oval cookies.
- Place the baking sheet into a baking pan.
- Now, place all the cookies on the baking sheet, approximately 3 cm apart from each other.
- Using a fork press each cookie in the middle.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C. Bake the cookies for about 25 minutes until they turn golden brown.
While the cookies are baking prepare the syrup.
Pour cold water, gelatine, stevia, ground vanilla and slices of lemon in a pot and mix it well so that gelatine dissolves. Now, bring the syrup to boil and let it simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the lemons from the syrup.
As soon as the cookies are ready, pour hot syrup over them. The best way to do it is by using a ladle. Allow the cookies to drink the syrup and sprinkle them with crushed walnuts.
You will most probably have a hard time to resist this Greek seductive treat. But, trust me, they are the best-served cold. Just like revenge, some might say! You can store them in the refrigerator or keep them at the room temperature. Enjoy every bite of keto Melomakarona and try to have maximum 3 after your main meal.