Lemon trees grow everywhere around the Mediterranean sea. Of course, the best ones grow in the south of Italy, the region of Magna Grecia as we call it. Even in the overpopulated Metropolis of Athens, you’ll find them growing in the streets. Lemon is used in all courses of modern Greek cuisine. We could say it’s one of the omnipotent fruits on our planet. Well, it is almost the only fruit that is 100% welcome on Keto diet! The protective properties of this citrus grabbed my attention when I was studying its nutritional values.
Lemon contains bioflavonoids, pectin, folic acid, vitamins C, A, B1, B6. Furthermore, it’s packed with minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese. It has a beneficial effect on the liver, bowel, stomach, immune, nervous, and cardiovascular systems.
All the reasons you should keep using lemon
- It is a natural antiseptic and antioxidant.
- Prevents flu, colds and many types of infections.
- Helps with cholesterol and gastric disorders.
- It’s a great remedy against greasy hair.
- Lemon water helps digestion because its composition is similar to gastric acid.
- It encourages the formation of enzymes in the liver.
- Lemon water normalizes bowel operation and makes it easier to empty them.
- It prevents gingivitis and stomatitis.
- It regulates the blood pressure and increases the level of (HDL) cholesterol.
- alkalizes the organism.
- Lemon water dilutes uric acid and thus helps with arthritis and gout.
- Helps eliminate excess mucus from the body.
- Prevents cramps and muscle pain.
- Regulates the work of metabolism.
- Protects against stress and depression.
- Reduces the risk of stroke.
- Prevents the formation of kidney and gallbladder stones.
- Protects against osteoporosis.
- Helps in weight loss.
A powerful natural remedy
This interesting sour fruit is very low in sugar and it can prevent diseases such as laryngitis, bronchitis, flu, colds. It can also help arthritis, high blood pressure, bacterial infections, and kidney stones. Some articles about its anticancer properties emerged lately. I would recommend reading this scientific overview about it. There are many ways to include lemons in your daily menu. However, during the summer, you might want to treat yourself with a Keto lemonish dessert!
Making the quickest lemon ice cream
As I already wrote in my quick chocolate ice-cream recipe, it should be simple! During the summer, Ketonians will be tempted by the offer of sugary ice creams. Not only sugar, the industrial ice creams contain harmful additives. Think of all artificial sweeteners and toxic taste enhancers. It’s not only about staying in ketosis, we should care about staying healthy. Even if you don’t follow the ketogenic diet strictly, health is your ultimate goal. This is why I wanted to share this amazingly quick and simple recipe. It contains only 2 main ingredients, a sweetener, and some mineral water. Of course, you’ll have to wait a couple of hours for it to freeze! And then, you’ll enjoy the simplicity and awesomeness of this Keto Mediterranean treat!
Keto Lemon ice cream
- 1 whole lemon organic, medium
- 400 g mascarpone sugarfree
- 200 ml sparkling mineral water
- 3 tbsp stevia
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Wash the lemon using water and vinegar solution. Cut it in slices and place it in the food processor or a blender
- Add mascarpone, stevia, mineral water and sea salt
- Blend it until you get a nice creamy mixture
- Freeze it for 2 hours and serve