Keto bread obsession is a trending subject among the Ketonians. Over the past few years as I am specialising in the Keto diet and targeted meal plans for individuals, I’ve worked with numerous clients directly and indirectly. Everyone has different needs, goals and requirements. Interestingly, one thing keeps appearing as an obstacle. – I will miss the bread, what can I do? Let’s face it, it’s been the main food for humans for several thousands of years and it left a stronger cultural impact on different nations than any other food. Of course, humans were healthier before the cereal industry, but even prior to it, they kept mixing some sort of ground grains and seeds with water, salt, and bake it.
I cannot live without bread!
You will not believe how many times I’ve heard this sentence after creating a Keto-Mediterranean meal plan and presenting it to my clients. It sometimes comes in a different form, but the contest is always the same. Here’s a list of the most common bread-related questions I get:
- Can I at least eat half a slice of normal bread? – No.
- Can I have a cheat day? – No.
- Isn’t the integral bread better? – It’s actually worst!
- I saw a recipe online, tried it and it tasted too eggy – You can make it without eggs!
- How can make keto bread and count my macros? – A good Keto recipe has to have nutritional values per slice!
- How will it grow without yeast? – There are Keto bread recipes which include the fermentation process, but I don’t recommend them. Baking soda with lemon juice will do the trick.
- How can I stop myself from overeating Keto bread? – Oh, don’t worry, you’ll have troubles to finish the whole 2 slices of this fatty bread.
How to recognise a good Keto bread recipe?
The first thing we have to think about when preparing a Keto bread is how natural are the ingredients? Ok, we want to quit our overprocessed and industrialised lifestyle! So, why should we go backwards in our progress by including industrial additives, such as guar gum, xanthan gum or any gum what so ever? You want to get healthier by switching to Keto. Especially if you opt for a Keto-Mediterranean version of a healing dieting. Here in the Mediterranean countries, we have a love affair with ancient times and ancient ingredients in our cuisine. Especially the delicious sesame seeds that have been used for thousands of years. Some of these ingredients have proven to be the healthiest for us. They are also, widely, available in the market today.
Following the organic paths
If you want your Keto bread to be nutritious and really serve the purpose in your diet, you’ll not compromise! I know, organic is expensive, especially in countries of the western world. This is a big problem for humanity these days. But, you cannot go for low-quality, overprocessed ingredients! They are usually filled with additives and with suspicious storage history. This is why I created a recipe that cannot go wrong! You’ll not throw it and you’ll enjoy it with all the benefits. Baking your own bread is a kind of art! This is why you’ll need to approach it with all the passion and patience.
No eggs – no eggy taste
Unlike the majority of Keto bread recipes available online, I decided to make a tasty bread that calls for no eggs! Many people end up disliking Keto bread due to the specific aroma eggs give to the dough. This happens due to the lack of spices and the reaction of eggs with baking soda. Well, as I wrote earlier, eggs are extremely healthy and you should consume more of them. But for this specific recipe, you will not need them. Of course, you can use them for making the most delicious french toast with this bread! In fact, I’ll create a recipe fora Keto version of Greek Avgofetes right after this!
Why Keto bread?
This recipe is created for all of you who still want to enjoy life, explore the culinary possibilities and gastronomy while following a ketogenic diet and lifestyle. It’s also one of the tastiest breads with perfect macros that many Keto bread recipes fail to deliver. Oh yes, let me not forget – keep your eggs for omelettes, homemade mayo or french-toasting, this recipe calls for no eggs! Very possible 😉
Tastiest Keto bread
- 1/2 cup (120g) almond flour Blanched, super fine, organic
- 4 tbsp coconut flour organic
- 1/2 cup (120g) sesame flour finely milled
- 2 tbsp psyllium powder Organic
- 1 cup (200g) Greek yoghurt Goat or sheep, 30% fat, strained (alternatively use sour cream)
- 1/2 cup (125g) butter grass-fed, softened
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds For garnish
- 1/4 cup (50ml) olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup (100ml) filtered water optional
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Using an electric mixer beat the softened butter until it gets fluffy. Add the yoghurt and keep mixing.
- Combine lemon juice with baking soda and when it gets foamy, add it to the butter mixture. Add the Olive oil and keep mixing on a lower speed.
- Combine all the dry ingredients (almond flour, sesame flour, psyllium powder and salt) and start adding it spoon by spoon to the mixture.
- If your dough appears too dry, add 100 ml water and work it with your hands.
- Grease your bread mould with some butter and place the dough in it. leave it at room temperature until your oven gets hot.
- Sprinkle the dough with sesame seeds and tap them in with your fingers so that they stick during the baking process.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC (338ºF) and bake the bread for 30 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 130ºC (266ºF) and bake for additional 20 minutes. Do not open the oven during the baking process.
- When the bread is baked, take it out of the oven and cover it with a clean kitchen towel.
- Serve when the bread is totally cooled down.
- It's crucial to use a powerful mixer so that the butter gets fluffy
- Make sure your psyllium powder is light in colour. If you cannot find it in powdered form, husk can be used
- Some ovens will require longer baking. If your bread appears soft in the middle after 50 minutes baking, return it in the oven for additional 20 minutes at low temperature.
- Sesame flour is one of the best flours for baking bread on Keto diet. f you cannot find it in your local healthy food stores, it's widely available online.
Out of this world macros
Do not be afraid to use Greek goat yoghurt. As you can see in the nutritional value table, you’ll have only 2g net carbs pert portion and your good fats will go up to 36g. This will make sure that your Keto bread provides quick satiety while giving you a good amount of protein and minerals as well. With these macros, this could be easily the healthiest Keto bread in the universe!!! Try it and let me know your opinion!!!