Keto Liver Paté is something you can call a power-food and a vitamin booster! Homemade, of course! Without any additives that the industry likes to add! You will start with the fresh liver of your choice, and then just add magical spices and ever-mighty olive oil. Naturally, As a good Ketonian, you will not forget your butter. In our case, goat butter adds the flavour, creaminess and brings the macros on a proper Keto level!
Of all liver preparation methods, liver paté is the most convenient one. Now, I know that many people don’t quite enjoy liver. In most cases, they just did not eat it well-prepared. Nevertheless, those liver haters usually find the liver paté delicious and appetising. This is why we decided to share our secret recipe with you!
How Keto friendly is Liver Paté?
If you decide to purchase an industrial liver pate, you’ll be surprised by the number of e-additives. Furthermore, you’ll most probably find corn-starch, some sort of unhealthy gum (xantham or guar) or other industrial thickeners! Why do they need to add thickeners? Isn’t liver paté thick enough on its own? Well, they want to get larger amounts of product to sell, so they just add water and thickeners. This way it tastes like liver paté, but it contains maybe just 30% of the actual liver. This is why it’s important to stress out the following sentence:
Nothing beats homemade Liver paté!
A quick overview of vitamin content
- Vitamin B12 helps the production of red blood cells and strengthens our DNA. This powerful vitamin mainly found in meat is also associated with healthy brain function.
- Vitamin A is essential for healthy eyesight, immune system employment and helps the reproductive system stay youthful. It is also great for healthy heart and kidneys.
- Riboflavin (B2) is necessary for cellular growth and function. It also plays a major role in turning the food we eat into energy!
- Folate (B9) is a vital nutrient involved in healthy cell formation and DNA protection.
- Iron is extremely important for women of menstruating age. It helps transport oxygen throughout the body. The iron found in the liver is the so-called heme iron. This kind is most easily absorbed by our body.
- Copper acts as an activator of many enzymes, which then help improve energy generation, iron metabolism and central nervous system.
What kind of liver to use?
If you want to explore the Keto Mediterranean flavours, you’ll definitely go for lamb liver. However, if you can’t find it, veal or beef liver will do just fine. Furthermore, you can try duck or goose paté if you are feeling… Oh là là – French! 😉
Foie gras is a gourmet delicacy that can be 100% Keto if no starch is added. But, we’ll cover that subject in another article. If you cannot find duck or goose liver, chicken liver is the inexpensive and great ingredient you can also utilise for making homemade Keto liver paté!
So, are you ready for this gourmet Keto experience?
Keto Liver Paté
- 500 g (17,6 oz) liver we used lamb liver cut into small cubes
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium spring onion finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 120 g (1/2 cup) butter we used goat butter
- 1 tsp sea salt we used flower of sea salt
- 1 tsp black, white, red pepper mixture freshly ground
- 1 tsp dill dried
- 1 tsp red paprika powder mild or hot
- 1/2 tsp turmeric organic
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar organic
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) sparkling mineral water You can use plain water too
- 4 tbsp sour cream at least 30% fat
- 1 tsp saffron powder optional
finely chop the onion and garlic and saute it in olive oil in deep frying skillet. Add all the butter and let it melt.
Finely chop the liver into small cubes. This will reduce the cooking time. Add liver cubes and stir with a wooden spoon. Let the liver brown evenly. Add all the spices. Now, pour in 100 ml of sparkling mineral water and cover the skillet with a lid. Reduce the heat and let it cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool down half way.
Place the mixture in a food processor, add sour cream and blend it until it gets smooth. This amount makes heaped 20 tablespoons. The nutrition label is per single serving, which is 1 tablespoon.
You can keep this freshly prepared paté in a sealed glass jar in the refrigerator for about 7 days. Cover it with some olive oil to prevent it from drying out.
You can toast your favourite Keto bread and use it as a base, but what I did is even better. I made some Keto Gnocchi and used the pate as my sauce 😉 Very tasty twist!
You can also use it with your favourite Keto crackers, here are our suggestions: