Savoury Keto cake is my favourite baking experiment. Let’s be honest, whatever you do with sweet cakes, there will always be someone who will love it. On the other side, with the savoury Keto cake, it’s a bit tricky! You can’t use the sweetener, cinnamon, vanilla extract, zest of citrus or other helpers. You have to count on the whole, fresh and basic ingredients. Then you have to hope it will turn out good. Now, we already had an experiment with savoury vegetable cake and it was a huge hit! However, that cake looks more like a soufflé.
Imagine if you baked just the Tiropita filling into a cake!
I wanted to create something that tastes like Tiropita without any phyllo dough! Of course, we already ketonised Tiropita and it’s even better than the real thing. But let me go back to my carby days… I remember opening the real Tiropita and eating only the filling while leaving the phyllo dough aside. This was a great inspiration to create new Keto savoury cake. I must say, the result positively surprised me. It looked like a real cake, almost like a bread. But no flour was added! What bliss!!! 😀
Is it possible to bake a cake without any flour?
I believe I tried baking with all Keto friendly flours and learned a lot about how they behave. The only one left for me to experiment with is the infamous Cricket flour. Regardless of your opinion about entomophagy, cricket flour is highly nutritious and people who tried baking with it say that it even tastes amazing! But, let’s leave that for another experiment and concentrate on baking a cake without any flour.
How can we do this? Simply, you have to separate the yolks from egg whites. Then it’s important to beat the yolks with butter for a bit longer to get a thick emulsion. Adding dry aged cheese, feta and sour cream will not make the mixture runny, on the contrary, it will thicken it even more. If you cannot find a high-fat content sour cream, the best thing you can do is use Mascarpone. In the end, you’ll add 1 tablespoon of grass-fed beef gelatine and your batter will have a perfect consistency.
Final stage trick
You will have to beat the egg whites until you get the stiff peak meringue and then very gently, bit by bit, mix it with the cheese and yolks mixture. It would be best to use a silicone spatula. Your oven needs to be preheated and the bundt pan well greased. Then just a bit more of the patience to get the savoury Keto cake of your dreams. You have to let it bake slowly on a low temperature so that it gets evenly baked inside and doesn’t burn on the outside. Another thing which is extremely important here is the freshness of your free range eggs. If they are very fresh, the cake will not even have a hint of eggy smell or taste. Furthermore, you really need only the best variety of quality aged cheese finely grated freshly before you’ll add it to the mixture.
How does it taste?
It tastes and smells literally like Tiropita without the phyllo.;) If you never tried Greek Tiropita, maybe you tried other kinds of cheese pie? The best part of Tiropita or just about any cheese pie is the filling! So, now we can enjoy it in this festive bundt Glamoutsa shape! And just take a look at those stellar macros!!!
Let’s bake Savoury Keto Cheesecake
Savoury Keto Cheesecake
- 6 large eggs free-range
- 100 g (3,5 oz) melted butter we used goat butter
- 200 g (7 oz) sour cream high fat content, alternatively use mascarpone)
- 100 g (3,5 oz) goat or sheep feta cheese crumbled
- 4 tbsp aged goat cheese finely grated
- 4 tbsp parmesane cheese finely grated
- 1 tbsp grass fed beef gelatine preferably powdered
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Divide the egg whites from the yolks and place them in two deep mixing bowls. Beat the yolks with nutmeg and white pepper (you can also use freshly ground black pepper)and start adding melted butter. Beat for at least 5 minutes to get a firm emulsion. Now add sour cream or Mascarpone and crumbled feta. Keep mixing at a high speed to get a smooth consistency.
- Add finely grated parmesane and aged goat cheese. (You can use any kind of aged cheese but make sure it's finely grated)
- Add powdered grass fed beef gelatine and keep mixing for another 3 to 4 minutes. Leave the mixture in the refrigerator.
- Now beat the egg whites with apple cider vinegar until you get a firm peak meringue.
- Start adding bit by bit of the eggwhite meringue to the egg yolk and cheese mixture. make sure you don't loose the volume by gently folding the mixture using a spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC (340ºF) Grease the bundt cake pan with some coconut oil and pour in the batter. Bake the cake for 60 minutes without opening the oven.
- Remove the cake from the bundt cake pan (I used silicon bundt cake pan so it was very easy to flip it out) Cut it and serve when it cools down halfway.