Greek Feta is on the throne of healthy dairy products and we wrote about this on so many occasions. Well, you can simply cut a piece of mighty Feta, or crumble it and turn any Keto dish into fantasy meal. However, please forgive us for being repetitive –
Greek Feta is authentic only if made in Greece and only if it was made with sheep and goat milk!!!
Where can I get real Greek Feta in the USA or Canada? How about here in Greek Goes Keto web shop? 😉
Greek Feta cubes, marinated in pure pleasure
This recipe is really simple, yet it can teleport you to the stellar heights of culinary art. Your family, friends and guests will love it as an appetiser or an addition to just about any dish! You can simply use it over the zoodles, or as a starter to your meat creations.
Although modern Greeks are afraid of eating cheese with fish, we encourage you to be a bit ancient Greek or Roman in spirit and stuff your fish or calamari with this marinated Feta. There are one million ideas, be creative, come up with your unique recipe. 😉
How the marinade prolongs the life and freshness of Feta?
As you know, Feta always comes in a salty brine. This is a form of preservation. From ancient times, salt has been used as the ultimate food preservative. However, if you open a box of Feta, you need to eat it within 5-6 days because of the oxidation. After that, the flavour will change and if it’s organic, it might even get mould on top. 😮
But worry not, because the good old olive oil and garlic will step in here! Once you prepare these marinated Feta cubes, you’ll be able to enjoy them throughout a month! In fact, garlic and extra virgin olive oil are powerful antibacterial agents and they also bring the flavour to another level.
Shall we start? It’s as easy as Sunday afternoon 😉
Greek Feta in a homemade marinadeCourse: Appetiser, Keto apperiserCuisine: Keto MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
500g (17 oz) Original Greek Feta Cheese
300 ml (10 fl oz) Extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 red horn pepper (hot or mild, dried or fresh)
1 tsp white or red pepper grains (You can also use black)
1 branch fresh rosemary
1 tsp dried peppermint
- Cut the feta in cubes, approximately 1×1 inch
- Gently place it in a clean mason jar that holds 500 ml (16 fl oz)
- Cut garlic in slices and place it in olive oil. Let it sit there for 5 minutes. Now add white pepper grains, chopped fresh rosemary, red horn peppers and dried peppermint. Mix well
- Pour this mixture over your Feta cubes and seal the jar. Make sure that the olive oil covers all the cubes. If it doesn’t, add more of it
- Place the jar in the refrigerator and let it get marinated for at least 24 hours. You can then enjoy your feta cubes on daily basis for at least 30 days. But remember, always seal the jar and return it in the refrigerator